Well so much for my daily blogging this week… I had a super busy weekend and then managed to leave my computer at my parents’ house two nights in a row which ate up all my potential blogging time.
In the meantime there has been some good food.
Breakfasts included another grilled wrap.
Canned pumpkin, cinnamon, almond butter, and a pear.
Pressed to perfection.
A bowl of fall flavored oatmeal with pear, apple, cranberries, and molasses.
a simple mix of Weetabix, banana and almond milk.
and an indulgent Whole Foods glorious morning muffin (carrots and raisins.)
Some good lunches and dinners as well.
Salmon burger with wasabi mayonaise and baby spinach on a sandwich thin.
My very own homemade applesauce.
A mix of sauteed spinach and portobello mushrooms flavored with spices and lemon juice.
A lunch out with a friend: breakfast burrito with eggs, salsa, black beans, and avocaodo (to be recreated at home for sure.)
A smoked salmon wrap with whipped cream cheese, lox, egg, and lettuce
rolled with half a honeycrisp apple.
And some good dinners:
Homemade by Mom: mahi mahi with mango salsa, mashed butternut squash, and roasted red potatoes.
Salad with lettuce, green pepper, green beans, leftover roasted potatoes, a lentil patty (still can’t remember the name) and tzatziki dressing.
Plus yesterday I made a giant pot of vegetable lentil soup from this recipe.
Time consuming, but easy and tasty. Plus very filling.
I’ve also been good about exercise, though I continue to be SO annoyed with my hip injury. Lots of swimming, a couple spinning classes, a bit of yoga, and one glorious 18-mile bike ride with my Dad with the most unseasonably beautiful fall weather.
Unfortunately, all of this heathy eating and exercise has been combined some binges which have left me feeling frustrated and out of control. I’ve been struggling to figure out exactly what is going on, but I just feel like a broken record repeating the same frustrations and struggles all the time.
I think it’s a combination of lots of factors:
- Lonely. Lots of friends for sure, but I’m still struggling over this break up and being by myself (especially at night) can be hard.
- Sleep deprived. With daylight savings, I seem to be getting up earlier and earlier but somehow not going to bed any earlier…
- Stressed. Lots and lots of work for my students’ recital this weekend. Past few days have been a bit better although I’ve been trying to get in lots of practicing for my upcoming lesson.
- Lack of running. I’m trying to be patient while my hip heals, but really running was SO helpful to me in the past. It helps me lose weight and all those endorphins seem to ward off overeating for me. Other exercise is great, but it doesn’t work the same way for me.
- Out of touch with my body. Somehow when I’m not hungry I can’t imagine ever being hungry again and this lasts all the way up until I’m starving - and then of course it’s hard to make good choices.
- Too much all-or-nothing thinking.
So I’m working on turning things around. Again. A few solutions I’m trying to implement.
- Making lots of social plans. I had a drink last night with a friend and pretty much a plan every night coming up.
- Going to bed as soon as I get home. This includes books only in bed, no computers. (I’m trying anyway.)
- Continuing all my non-running exercise and looking forward to Tuesday when I’m trying yet-another hip solution. Hopefully the running clinic will give me some answers?!?
- Allowing snacks. I’ve always been sort of anti-snacking, but letting myself get too hungry never works so I’m going to try to eat at least a little something as soon as I feel hungry and not wait too long.
- Give myself permission for some indulgences. Yesterday I “allowed” myself that muffin from Whole Foods. The very healthiest choice? No. But eating the one muffin was better than going on a carby, sugary binge later.
So far yesterday was a success. Here’s to another good day ahead.